Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Le Pays De Larmes

Last week on our way to the concert, we were pulling off an exit in St. Paul when we got stuck in some traffic and we noticed a couple firetrucks and ambulances and we were trying to figure out what was going on, when I noticed a guy sitting on the traffic sign on the outside of the bridge. And to be honest, it took me a second to put two and two together and I realized that all of the firemen were trying to talk the man down.

This guy had climbed the fence and he was literally sitting on the outside of the bridge, obviously in distress. And that image has been burned in my mind ever since. I don't know what happened to this man. I don't know if he jumped or if the firemen were eventually able to talk him down. All I know is that in that moment, I was scared.

Life is so incredibly fragile. We have the power to literally do anything we want with this life. We have the power to end it at any moment, sometimes by choice. I've been there, in that moment, when I could think of no other way past that pain. I've felt it. I've let that darkness engulf me.

I do not know what this man was feeling at that moment in time. And I never will. The thing about human emotion is that it's never the same.

You will never be able to truly understand what another human being is feeling because not everyone reacts in the same way. No one reacts the same way to any situation.

"C'est tellement mysterieux le pays de larmes" -Le Petit Prince

That's what I think makes it so hard for people to fully accept others without judgment. I don't feel the same as you, so in what way am I qualified to make a judgment about the manner in which you live your life.

I don't know this man. I won't pretend to know this man or understand what he was feeling. I simply know the image I have of him on that bridge. I do not know what drove him to that point. I do not know what was going through his head, but I have so much love for this man simply because he is another living creature and my life is worth the same as his.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm trying to say with this post. I guess it's more me working through what I've been thinking about, but have quite been able to say out loud in the past week.

I have never met a person who fully accepts other human beings and it makes me sad because not everyone is going to be the same as you. Accept others for the way they are because no one is going to fit the mold that you have in your mind. Because only when you fully feel that acceptance and when you finally live free of that judgment, will you be truly happy. I think that people live so caught up with searching for the perfect person in our minds, that we forget to just love. You'll never get close to another human if you live expecting them to think in the same way as you.

I think that it's just a matter of perspective. I don't expect everyone to see things the same way I see things, but that's okay. You aren't going to feel things in the same way I do and I don't expect you to. Be who you want to be, but don't expect anyone else to be who you want them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to read the things you write back to me :)